Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Tantrums

"Why your child has temper tantrums"

A temper tantrum is the emotional equivalent of a summer storm — sudden and sometimes fierce. One minute you and your child are in a restaurant enjoying your dinner, the next minute he's whimpering, whining, and then screaming at the top of his lungs because his straw is bent. Children between the ages of 1 and 3 are especially prone to such episodes.

Though you may worry that you're raising a tyrant, take heart — at this age, it's unlikely that your child is throwing a fit to be manipulative. More likely, he's having a meltdown in response to frustration. Claire B. Kopp, professor of applied developmental psychology at California's Claremont Graduate University, attributes much of the problem to uneven language skills. "Toddlers are beginning to understand a lot more of the words they hear, yet their ability to produce language is so limited," she says. When your child can't express how he feels or what he wants, frustration mounts."


Lately with Eli we have started to see the infamous "tantrum" stage emerge. Sometimes I feel like I know just what to do and other times not. So I was just going to ask that mom's with any experience on tantrums share or tell me what worked for them. His age is tricky since he can't yet talk (well, you know what I mean) and getting down to his level and explaining things seems silly when he is usually on the floor screaming. I can just see myself "mommy isn't happy with this behavior right now, Eli"...but if that is what will help....I'll do it.

2 comments:

  1. aww sounds like fun. i can't wait til lincoln hits this stage LOL. all i can say is read up sister! there's a ton of development books out there and everyone feels better when they understand whats going on better :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not fun at all. But I think I was given some advice today that will help. Patience being the key in all of them...that and knowing that I'm not alone...so if my kid throws himself down in the middle of the store, take heart...others know what that's like!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments...

You might also like:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...