Sunday, December 16, 2012

Crockpot Butternut Squash Soup



If you're anything like me, you consider winter season soup season. I make soup a couple times a week around here to keep my family eating veggies and keep our food costs low (soups are cheap!)

I have to admit that I am not a big butternut squash eater nor do I like most renditions of it. I don't care for that overly sweet taste this soup sometimes has and set out to make a recipe of my own that we would actually eat...that meant no coconut milk!

So here is my rendition of a classic -perfect for this holiday or winter season and there were no leftovers...always a sure sign of success!

Butternut Squash Soup


2 tbsp butter
1 medium Onion chopped
1 stalk celery chopped
1 medium carrot chopped
2 medium potatoes chopped
1 medium butternut squash, peeled, seeded and cubed
1 (32 fluid ounce) chicken stock

2tsp cinnamon
1tbsp roasted ground ginger
8 ounces cream cheese
2tbsp sugar
salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
cilantro (optional)

1. Brown the onion in the butter.

2. Add all chopped ingredients into crockpot, including browned onion.
Cover veggies with chicken stock (it took all 32 ounces for mine).
Add some salt and pepper...but save most of the seasoning for later.

3. Cook on low for 6-8 hours in crockpot or until veggies are very soft.

4. Blend veggies in blender with stock juices until puree consistency. It took multiple blenderfuls for mine. Add cream cheese into last blend and blend until combined well.
Add back into crockpot and stir. Change mode on crockpot to keep warm.
Soup should be creamy.

5. Add cinnamon, ginger, sugar, salt and pepper...to taste. Adding a good amount of pepper gives the soup a great flavor-semi sweet butternut squash flavor on first taste with peppery finish.
This soup should have a sweetness but not over done.

Garnish with cilantro! (I also added a dash of milk to mine upon serving!)

7 comments:

  1. Happy Holidays. Visiting from Thee Networking Blog Hop! Please visit my blog & follow if you haven't already. :)

    Kristina
    http://www.yomichaelmichael.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love butternut squash soups! I just may have to try this one! :)

    Thanks for the follow--I'm returning the favor!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh that looks delicious! Thanks for sharing. Found your blog through the blog hop. I'm a new follower. Hope you'll stop by sometime!

    RebeccawithanR

    ReplyDelete
  4. HI there!!! I came across your blog and love it:) HAPPY HOLIDAYS to you!! I have become your newest follower!!! I'm Hanna and you can find me anytime at www.bouffeebambini.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey, new follower from the GFC blog hop. Wow, this looks amazing. I love making soup, I definitely want to try this! :)

    xo,
    Kristin
    aboutagirl.ca

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi LeiShell! Hopped over from Kelle Hampton and I think my Drew is only a few months behind your little Eli. Your little guy is a doll and I'm your newest follower. Feel free to follow back as I can always use advice from mommies of boys a bit older than mine!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yum! That looks delicious!

    Merry Christmas to you!!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments...

You might also like:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...