Wednesday, March 20, 2013

On Social Media with a Side of Cookies

I woke up this morning at 5:45am and the first thing I did was check my phone (Facebook to be exact) and then stumbled on some rather hurtful words on a status I had from weeks prior. This same thing had just happened to me days prior on another status. 

Let me explain. 
My status' go something like, "Holding two babies, one in the belly and one in my arms is the most amazing thing ever." Most often I gush about motherhood and such.

And some might be a funny tease at my hubby for snoring all night and keeping awake, possibly warranting divorce (of course I was kidding). So, the rude comment on any of them isn't really warranted. Or even an opinion, in my opinion. 

I simply share tidbits of my day as light hearted as possible with what I believed to be friends. I think I have been deceived. Social media (for me) started out just as family and then branched out to friends and then long lost friends or people I simply sat next to in math in high school. Frankly, it got out of control fast. 

These personal tidbits of my life were just out there for anyone (on a friend's list) to see and comment on, or in my experience as of late criticize, opinionize (if that's not a word, I just made it up) and put my whole life instantly on blast.
Not what I intended. 

So, today I made a startling discovery about myself and it felt good. I'm done. I don't need to share the personal tidbits with anyone anymore because if they truly are as close as I want them to be, then they will be in the loop regardless if I post it as a status or share a pic of our family eating out.

Social media has gotten out of hand. Once a place for friends to meet and greet, it has become a place to dive into one's personal business and if I can say "judge" one another. 

I fed my kid a cookie-took a picture of it, posted it...ten minutes later some high and mighty is on my status ranting about the effects of sugar in children. 
It all feels a little ridiculous.

And then most of all, I begin to think about not just the negativity of social media, but the time consumingness  (made that up too) of it all.

I want to desperately focus on family, growing this little one and most of all God. I mean, how many times a day do you check social media? 
 Me, probably at least a few times a day and then in the evening..right before I go to bed. I can't leave people's comments hanging! Or can I?

Yep. And I will.

Blogging can be dangerous too. I see some pretty nasty comments on one of the most popular mommy blogs I read (thousands upon thousands of followers). She can't even place her baby on his tummy or someone has something awful to say.

I always refer back to the movie 'Bambi'.."if you don't have something nice to say, don't say nothin' at all"...
Right?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


In other news.
 I made cookies. They were delicious. And I don't expect anyone to criticize their effects on my rear or how many I may or may not have let my toddler eat. 

Insert Recipe.

I added M&M's to one batch (I doubled) and then white chocolate chips and almond slivers to the other. 

Oh and I mixed with an old fashioned mixer. The kind your great grandma would have used. I bought it at a yard sale six years ago...so I could really use this one from The Life of a Not So Ordinary Wife.

5 comments:

  1. Those cookies look amazing! Wish I lived closer. ;)
    I hear ya on the politeness thing. I wish that people would only say online what they would say in real life. I'm sorry you had to go through that. I recently decided to pare back my FB -- I unfriended a few people, marked some as "aquaintances" and unlinked just about every page and product. Now, when I log on it only takes a couple of minutes and I'm all caught up. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those cookies look delicious!
    I totally agree about social media and online politeness. People find it so easy to be nasty anonymously and it's disheartening. I've definitely done some cleaning up of my "friends" lately - I don't need that in my life, either.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those look yummy! No judgement here - I am a cookie fiend ha ha.

    I agree it can get out of hand quickly. I don't know why people feel the need to push their beliefs onto others. I'm sorry you have had some ugliness pop up. Ignore them and move on. They aren't worth your time or energy. You have so many beautiful blessings to focus on instead :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's sad, I know, but so TRUE! It's unfortunate! Sorry you've had such a bad experience. And time consuming it is! It's really a pain in the butt! By the way, as far as the cookies are concerned, no judgement here. I'd come over if I could just to have some :o)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I spoke up against a mean comment on a friend's blog once and the woman argued that because the comments were public, it was 'fair game' to criticize. What? How does that make sense? I likened it to my being overweight - and just because I go out in public, is it 'fair game' to call me fat? Maybe... but it's still really mean! I don't get people sometimes... when did 'not illegal' turn into 'completely socially acceptable'?

    ReplyDelete

I love comments...

You might also like:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...